Pages

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dear _____________, please hire me

I read your advertisement on idealist.org with great excitement. I am a recent college graduate with a keen interest in theater (particularly puppets and circus) who is seeking additional experience in the field. I think I may have a number of the qualities that you seek in an intern. My thesis work was a mammoth writing project which won high honors at the undergraduate level, and I've recently (this month) applied for a Fulbright research scholarship to continue collecting ethnographic data for future writings. So, while I may not have had the confidence to say it before receiving outside accolades, I think that I have strong writing skills and I have very fresh experience in applying for grants. This summer I was an apprentice with Bread & Puppet theater, and the summer before I was learning about marionette making at Puppets in Prague, in the Czech Republic. During college I (and my friends) developed, wrote for and performed in a very conceptually-based circus that I booked the tour for around the east coast. It was a avant-garde project that brought together music, a few more traditional circus skills, sideshow acts, puppets, clowning, and political purpose. I've been performing and studying theater and dance since I could walk, but it's really more the behind the scenes stuff that's interesting to me now. I'm a big multi-tasker, with varying levels of success, but usually I keep it together, and even when I don't, it usually appears as if I am. Dynamic relationships of creative collaboration are something that I value very highly, and try and maintain a presence of in my life.

Enclosed in the attachment is my resumé. I would love more information about the position, and I look forward to hearing from you soon if there is still an availability.

Thank you,



The let down:

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm afraid we filled this position about a month ago—I didn't realize it was still posted on idealist. I'm sorry about that. You clearly took time to write a real cover letter.

It sounds like you've been doing some really cool stuff in the last few years. Good luck!

Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment